JOB HUNTING AS A VETERAN
The Arlington Employment Center offers priority service for Veterans and eligible spouses who need career transition assistance. AEC also has a dedicated financial coach and a veterans specialist on staff.
We understand the unique challenges faced by Veterans as they transition to the civilian workforce. We help you:
- Conduct a thorough self-assessment to identify skills and abilities marketable and transferable to the civilian labor market.
- Use military skills translators available online to understand how your skills translate to employer needs and to better use civilian workplace terminology in your application.
- Market yourself from an authentic place – identify what you have enjoyed doing the most and identify targeted positions (or create positions) that are the best match for you – to be a more impressive and enthusiastic candidate.
- Conduct career intelligence gathering – learn as much as you can about your targeted employer – is the mission interesting? What are their challenges and how can you address them? What does the hiring official want to accomplish by filling this position?
- Position and brand yourself – list your top competencies in your qualification summary to support why you are in expert, what you have done, and specific examples of how well you have done that work.
- Strategic networking – identify targeted employers for informational interviews to market yourself directly to hiring officials before positions are announced. Identify those who have your targeted job and network with them.
- Understand the importance of communicating your accomplishments to employers related to the key skills and characteristics they are seeking to meet their needs – make employers want to hire you.
- Understand and prepare your resume for applicant screening processes in all sectors – including Applicant Tracking Systems. Employers know everything about you before you apply.
- Understand the importance of using social media to exponentially strengthen and expand your job search – this is the future of job seeking.
- Understand and use federal Veteran hiring preferences.
Cynthia Prospers will be at the Employment Center Monday through Friday from 8 am to 4:30 pm. For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact email@example.com or 757-812-8210,